Sunday, April 3, 2011

Book Review "Discovery at Rosehill" By Kathryn Brown

BOOK REVIEW 

DISCOVERY AT ROSEHILL by Kathryn Brown
Genre: Paranormal/Romance
Published Lulu.


Kathryn Brown
Author Kathryn Brown takes us on a journey to the Scottish borders in her debut novel

“Discovery at Rosehill”

Rosehill Farm is a once beautiful mansion set on 5,000 acres of land. 

The central character medium Camilla Armstrong is led to the mansion and its surrounding farmland by the spirit of her grandmother.

Camilla  feels an immediate empathy with “Rosehill” a sense of having finally come home. She sets about restoring the old mansion to its former gracious glory..

The characterization of Camilla is deftly handled by the Author, you can’t help but like the warm and charming woman.  

 Her sensitivity to the spirits inhabiting the empty rooms of Rosehill soon captures your imagination, as the author gently leads you into the realm of the paranormal. 

No clanking chains and ghoulish monsters in this well written novel, in fact I needed to remind myself that I was reading a fictional account, such is the comfort the author obviously has with this subject.

Camilla does readings on request and her first client has many hidden secrets that will only gradually reveal themselves via the encounters with tormented spirit’s seeking justice, release and revenge. 

How is Camilla's own past connected to this place? What tormented secrets will be revealed.

The tragedy of the spirits past plays out beautifully in chapters of encounters that ring true, you the reader are there with Camilla as she seeks the truth, and overcomes the fear of one particularly nasty spirit wanting to use her gifts to seek revenge.

Romance enters the story in the form of the very charming local vicar. His belief system and that of Camilla clearly are at odds, yet they are drawn inexorably to one another. 

This author has a subtle gift for understatement that allows the reader to utilize their own imaginations, teasing us with scenes of romance and lust in equal proportion.

The sudden and unexpected illness of Camilla’s dearest friend brings Ross a former lover back into Camilla’s life. The tension between them is palpable and the friendship looks set to destroy Camilla’s new love relationship with Marcus {The vicar}

I will not spoil the outcome for you. Suffice it to say that the mystery deepens with every spirit encountered. 

What are they trying to say? How will it affect Camilla’s life? You need to read the book to find out.

I rate books on readability, characterizations, plot line, narrative, dialogue and editing. This one comes up 5/5 on all counts.

NOW  a special mention is warranted here, I want to share with you the marvelously generous decision by this author, Kathryn Brown, to donate all proceeds from the sale of Discovery at Rosehill” during the month of April to the  National Autistic Society (a British based autism association).

The author’s daughter is Autistic, and Kathryn Brown wants people to learn more about Autism. I for one admit I knew little of Autism and the resultant affects on the sufferer and family alike.

I am very grateful to have learned more.

Please assist in supporting this marvelous charity. Kudos to the author for assisting in raising our awareness. 

Read and learn more of the profound affects Autism causes within a family group.

I also had the pleasure of Interviewing Kathryn recently…here is a brief excerpt from that interview.

 Interview with Kathryn Brown author of "Discovery At Rosehill."

Hello, Kathryn and welcome to your interview.

You write on your blog about your talented and beautiful daughter, she is eleven years old and clearly the light of your life. Has she inherited your love of writing?


I would definitely say Amy has inherited my love of writing. She has her own blog (http://www.amysspecialstories.blogspot.com) where she writes very short stories, poems and pieces, anything close to her heart. She’s very talented. Amy is autistic which makes her writing talent incredibly special. She is indeed the light of my life.

You have completed your novel “Discovery at Rosehill “… tell us about the book, and what inspired you to write it?

The book is told in the first person by Camilla, a medium who is led to her new home, Rosehill Farm, by her deceased grandmother. It contains many of my own paranormal experiences which have taken place in my home, and this is partly what inspired me to write the book. I have based Camilla on myself where the paranormal side of the story is concerned, but, as you will hopefully read, her romantic life isn’t at all like mine! The story is a mysterious tale of discovery for Camilla, where she learns the truth behind Rosehill, mainly through spirit communication. She falls in love with a vicar, adding a twist to the story, but it concentrates more on the spiritual/paranormal genre and includes visions, manifestations, communication and poltergeist activity. It might make you cry, I hope it makes you smile. But I really want it to make the reader think.


How long did it take you to complete “Discovery at Rosehill” … from word one until final draft?
Okay, bit embarrassed at the answer to this question, but it has taken 3 years! I haven’t rushed it; my life is so full with having an autistic daughter and running a farm that writing used to take a back seat occasionally. But the last twelve months have given me a kick up the backside and after contact with my dad, I decided to get it done once and for all. But I’m proud that I’ve done it, and I know he is, too.

The book is a loving dedication to your late Father, you and he must have shared a very deep bond. You must be so pleased that you are able to dedicate the book to him.

I am ecstatic. I hope it will be published one day for many reasons, but one of those reasons is because I know he will be at the book launch, supporting me through what will most probably be one of the most nervous events of my life since marrying the Farmer at Bamburgh Castle! My dad is always around me. All my life I wanted to make him proud of me. When my daughter was born, that was the proudest moment in both our lives. But he was still alive back then. I want him to be proud of me now, as he travels on a journey along the purest path.

Working the farm and looking after your daughter and husband must be incredibly time consuming. Do you need to set aside “YOU” time in order to write? Is your family supportive of the time you need to spend on writing?

At first, my husband was extremely sceptical about my writing. He is very old fashioned and was brought up to think that women have a role in life; to look after the house, kids and husband (not necessarily in that order!!). But as the book progressed, I am pleased to say that he has started to understand how important it is to me to have it published. Not only because of my dad, but because this is something “I” will have achieved on my own. My daughter demands attention when she’s at home so I’m not able to write at those times. But yes, now I can honestly say that my family is supportive.

Have you been in a situation that caused you fear during spirit activity?

There is only one time I was fearful. It was in the evening when Amy and the Farmer were out of the house and I was upstairs at my computer. I heard a very distinct noise downstairs, like the sound of someone walking in the hallway towards the bottom of the stairs. We have creaky floorboards so it isn’t difficult to distinguish sounds in this house! Anyway, it didn’t feel right. Something told me the sound was coming from a negative energy and I was genuinely scared. A part of me even believed someone was in the house, a human rather than an astral, and I picked up the nearest vase, a very heavy crystal ornament, then made my way to the top of the stairs. I stood for a few minutes before suddenly feeling very calm and I knew that the energy had gone. I don’t know who it could have been.

The book deals with paranormal experiences. These ring very true to my ears, are they based on your own dealings with the spirit world?

Yes, most of the paranormal scenes in the book are taken from my own experiences. In order to make them read more interesting, I have obviously fictionalised them and “beefed” them up a little!


Tell us about Crystal Jigsaw, when did you create the blog and why?

I first created Crystal Jigsaw in May2007. I started writing it because I was planning Discovery at Rosehill and needed a writing platform to promote my work. A very good friend of mine told me about blogging and I glared at her, wondering what on earth she was talking about. When she showed me her own blog, I realised I had to do one, too! (She went on to have a blog-book published.) My late father in law passed away a few weeks after I started my blog and I can honestly say contributed to several of my earlier posts, from both the earth and astral planes! I write for an audience; there I said it. I blog because I love to write and I love to entertain. I’m a bit of a coward though, because I’d be useless on stage so that’s why I prefer to entertain from behind a computer screen.
Please Share the links to your sites below.
.
Blog: http://www.crystaljigsaw.blogspot.com

Paranormal Blog: http://www.marvellousmable.blogspot.com

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/CrystalJigsaw

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CrystalJigsaw

You can also download the book onto your Kindle. Click HERE. This link will take you to Amazon Kindle and enable you to purchase and download. Cost of e-Book is £3.44.

The book is now also available on Ebay in paperback version and XinXii as eBook version.
Alternatively, you can buy one from Lulu. Or, if you would prefer to buy using a cheque, please email the author at crystal.jigsaw7@btinternet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment/review on any of the stories/poems contributed.