Thursday, June 19, 2014

My featured author this week is Bev Allen author of Jabin.

 In the spirit of all of us that love the written word, all of us who have generosity in their nature and a genuine fondness for their like minded friends; I will be happily promoting the works of  any of my Taylor Street colleagues who have now released their books again. It matters not if they are traditionally published or self-published. I have read and reviewed, or will read and review each book and author I promote.

So ... let us begin.

I am delighted to feature author Bev Allen and her Young Adult Novel "Jabin" newly published by Thorstruck Press.



BEV ALLEN.


 Book Description
June 11, 2014
The space colony is rife with religious and political rivalry, and prey to the vicious maraudings of pirates whose cruelty is savage. In New Wales the pirate attacks are relentless and merciless. Having lost both his parents Jabin is adopted by malicious relatives.
Jabin altruistically surrenders to a raiding gang, he does so believing nothing can be worse than his current suffering. He discovers circumstance does worsen when megalomaniacs rule. When the King of New Wales is assassinated the colony threatens to collapse into total anarchy, leaving the pirates free reign to mutilate, kill, and profit. Earth's law enforcement are ready for retaliation. Jabin has a vital role in the ensuing war, if he can survive the current mayhem.

Interstellar espionage is visceral in this masterpiece of cosmic suspense.

 My Review of Jabin

 6 of 6 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A novel that will appeal to more than just the YA market!.
This review is from: Jabin
Bev Allen's Jabin  is labelled YA...I am far from that age bracket and yet this book captured me and held me a willing captive from the first page till the last.

Author Allen has crafted a character that readers of any age will empathise with. Jabin is endearing, strong, and wise well beyond his years. He has to be as he is thrust into a world of enmity, a world that makes him an outcast, a world peopled by those who believe that theirs is the only `true' belief system. Bev Allen's `Jabin' will drag you into his world...a world where he feels constantly disconnected, unloved...and unnecessary.

Many Young Adults in our harsh world will identify with these facets of Jabin's character, many of us older folks that have experienced that feeling will want so very badly for Jabin to find a place he belongs.

This book hits me on so many levels ... It is an Adventure, Science Fiction and a moving and at times violent expose of all that is wrong in the world. Although set in space, Bev Allen has crafted a piece of fine work that could be set anyplace ...anytime. Jabin is a universal character for the 21st century.

I can't recommend this work highly enough, to all those who enjoy writing that comes from the heart, and to those that simply love a damned fine read.

 Another great review


9 of 9 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!!,
Verified Purchase
This review is from: Jabin  (Kindle Edition)
I am an avid Young Adult reader and take pleasure in reading most books in this genre, but I have to say, I've discovered a new favourite.
Jabin would have to be one of the most endearing characters that I've connected with in a long time. The life he has endured makes him a victim,
but its the way the narrative describes his existence and how he never feels he belongs to anyone or with anyone, and doesn't understand why,that
puts him one step closer to the reader. He's a character to sympathise and to empathise with, and throughout each of the trials he has to face you feel closer and closer to him.

The backdrop to Jabin's hardships is a new world of Space Pirates and corrupt parties eager to overthrow the crown, who are in power to see that peace is kept between the two religeous sects.
I loved the shift in perspective, from Jabin to the soldiers on the other side of the battle. Having the story from two opposing sides, made the pacing brilliant. I couldn't stop reading,
eager to see how all would turn out for Jabin and those who suffered along with him.

This is such a great read, the prose is excellent and the reader is never left wondering about the settings or the characters. All is made crystal clear, and although sometimes brutal in its content, the plot weaves along as all the pieces of the puzzle come together in the end.
I can't recommend this read enough, I really, really loved it.

LINKS

http://www.bevallenauthor.com/Bev's home page.
http://thorstruckpress.weebly.com/bev-allen.htmlBev's page on Thorstruck Press
Amazon page.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Jabin+by+Bev+Allen


A note to any of my TS Friends...if you would like your work featured here on my little blog please email me at suzieb4burke@hotmail.com send me your links and I'll do the rest.

2 comments:

  1. A great review for a smashing story and a delightful author. Thanks Soooz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the book, I was hooked from the beginning. Lovely stuff, ladies!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment/review on any of the stories/poems contributed.