Tuesday, October 13, 2015

My BOOK PICK for OCTOBER 2015. RINGS OF DEATH by RICKI THOMAS.










Ricki Thomas.

Ricki is the author of best-selling Unlikely Killer, Rings of Death, Bonfire Night, Black Park, Hope's Vengeance and Bloody Mary, all published by Wild Wolf Publishing. Her biggest interests are true crime, criminal psychology and comedies

My review; of “Rings Of Death” by Ricki Thomas.
When I begin a book by an author I have not read before I always begin with an enthusiasm that I hope is justified as I get further into the plot.

It took me a few pages to accustom myself to Ricki Thomas’s style and her personal pacing and rhythm; however once I did; I relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

I love a plot that keeps me guessing. Yet it must also be well constructed enough so that it does not fall apart on closer scrutiny. The author has achieved that and more. 

From the outset, Author Ricki Thomas had me attempting to guess the identity of  the perpetrator of a series of kidnappings. The victims all female, all very young, and all actively pursuing excellence in the sport of running.

The missing girls come from different locations and diverse backgrounds and cultures. 

Given that these disappearances were of young females of drinking and dating age, the police didn’t take the initial reported disappearances too seriously.

Until that is, one young woman, Sammy Cooper, an eighteen-year-old, fails to reappear after attending her gym class, a young woman who had been dating the son of a higher up in the police department.

 Not cause for concern … except for the fact that the son is a 35- year-old councilor, and … a consummate sleaze-bag. 

Sammy Coopers controlling parents totally unaware that their beautiful daughter is even dating, let alone involved with someone so much older.

The author cleverly weaves the Police investigation, allowing over-sized egos, communication breakdown, and the often inexperienced constables to frustrate and delay the viability of the information being pieced together.

Add to this volatile mix an interfering reporter, hell bent on furthering her career. Nancy Blaine is thriving on the attention she is getting, and actively seeking more of the same.

The captives (Five in all-initially) are treated worse than animals, drugged and defeated, with little to no willpower to survive remaining; only the latest captive, Sammy Cooper is fighting back. 

Sammy is attempting to develop a rapport between the girls and their unseen captor. She opens up a slow and frustrating dialogue through a barred and secured door. Gradually building a trust of sorts with the sad and demented individual that holds their young lives in his hands.

The scene is beautifully set and the pace increases. The police are hampered at every turn, in some cases purely through misunderstood motivations.

I was cockily certain that I had the perpetrator identified, and waited confidently for the author to confirm my diagnosis of the plot. I was way off base. Just when I became complacent and thought I had this whole thing figured out, the author threw a clever and well-placed curve ball at me, and I began to rethink who in fact the perpetrator may be.

The plot is complex and well developed. The characters are multi-dimensional and easy to visualize.

It never does to make assumptions, and the shattering climax to the book had me smiling in admiration. Well done, Ricki Thomas.

 I will be deliberately seeking out more of this authors work. If you like your Mystery/Suspense thrillers with a very astute dose of what makes up one of the Psychological profiles of a serial killer, this book is very highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment/review on any of the stories/poems contributed.